The house of prayer of St. Catherine is one of the superbly built old churches in Taleigao, which is 5 kms far from Panaji. This house of prayer is devoted to St. Catherine and is worked of laterite stones with a tower on either side of the congregation fa�ade of St. Francis of Assisi. This is a little house of prayer which is in the inside of this congregation, and has a plain holy place.
This house of prayer owes its inceptions to Alfonso De Albuquerque who constructed this congregation when he claimed Goan region on St. Catherine�s Day in 1510. This was later revamped in 1552 over the current stays of the prior structure and was expanded by the then Governor, George Cabral who recorded a stone chunk inscripting the passage of Alfonso De Albuquerque who caught Goa from the Muslim rulers on St. Catherine�s Day in 1510 and along these lines constructed this church.
It is found west of the congregation of St. Francis of Assisi. The status of this house of prayer was later raised to that of a Cathedral by Pope Paul III inferable from a Papal Bill went in 1534 A.D.
On November the 25th, 1510, Afonso de Albuquerque (Wikipedia Article) drove the Portuguese powers to a definitive triumph over the Muslims of Adil Shah of Bijapur. The day was the devour of St. Catherine. Albuquerque guided his warriors to flatten a current mosque and manufacture a house of prayer on the site. The church was built with mud dividers and palm fronds. The mass of Adil Shah's post can at present be seen inverse the Chapel.
In spite of the fact that it was broadened in 1550, the Portuguese Governador (representative) at the time, George Cabral requested it reconstructed in 1952 utilizing laterite stones and mostly put with lime. The mix of the white of the lime and the cocoa of the laterite makes it a striking structure. The sanctuary is basic however rich with a tower each on either side of the façade.
Inside there is just a sacrificial stone and the dividers are plain. The house of prayer has rectangular window sheets with restricted boards of seashell, just like the style of numerous structures of the time.